This is a wonderful, flavorsome stuffing. It is extremely moist and moreish. I baked it in a separate dish instead of stuffing it in the turkey but its up to your personal preference really. The cranberries become really moist and juicy which is amazing. You could also use some fresh cranberries, if you want.
Bacon, Cranberry and Pistachio Stuffing (Serves 6-8)
4 slices of white bread, toasted and cooled
1tbsp olive oil
a knob of butter
4 slices of lean bacon, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
1tsp dried thyme
1tsp dried rosemary
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup pistachios, shelled
1 red apple, diced
1 cup chicken stock
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190ºc/375ºf.
- Break the toast into pieces then whizz it in a food processor until it forms rough breadcrumbs. Place in a large bowl and set aside. Alternatively, you could use store bought breadcrumbs or just cut the bread into rough cubes.
- Add the oil and butter to a frying pan and heat over a medium/high heat until the butter starts foaming, then add the bacon pieces, garlic and onion and fry until the onion is softened and the bacon is cooked and crisp.
- Add the thyme, rosemary and allspice and cook for a further minute then add to the bowl of breadcrumbs.
- Add the cranberries, pistachios and apple to the mixture and toss to combine. Mix in the chicken stock and egg until all the mix is evenly moistened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grease an oven proof dish with butter and transfer the stuffing to the dish.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20mins or until the stuffing is golden and has a crunchy top.