This is a really lovely dish that is perfect for a damp, cold evening when all that will do is a steaming bowl of hot stew. This is not a typical stew, it is much healthier and doesn’t have such a heavy feel. It has a lovely spice which also helps you warm up and the beans provide bulk without having to serve with potatoes or similar. It is a colorful dish so should appeal to kids as well. Feel free to adjust the spices to your taste.
Turkey, Bean and Tomato Stew (Serves 4)
1tbsp olive oil
1/2 large courgette, sliced into discs
7-8 button mushrooms, quartered
1 yellow pepper, cut into large chunks
1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
2 onions, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2-1tsp chili powder
1 can chopped tomatoes or 5-6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
400g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
400-500g turkey breast chunks
2tsp cornflour mixed with 2-3tsp water to make a paste
4tsp creme fraiche
salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry over a medium heat until softened.
- Add the chopped courgette, mushrooms and peppers and cook until all the vegetables are softened.
- Sprinkle the spices over and mix to combine. Add the chopped tomatoes, mixed beans, turkey breast and cornflour mixture.
- Cook until the mixture thickens. Add a little water if the sauce is too thick.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and serve steaming hot with a teaspoon of creme fraiche and a squeeze of lemon juice.